If anyone noticed my recent actions this week, I’ve been watching a TON of Christmas favorites wit cocoa in hand. As the holidays are now in full swing, what better time to plan a movie marathon with your friends, family or even just yourself! Here’s a few of my favorites to watch this time of year.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – can’t beat one of the OG classics! This one will pick up your spirit if you haven’t been feeling it this season.
- White Christmas – I actually just saw this one in its entirety for the first time and loved it! So many great costumes and songs too!!
- Home Alone (1&2) – Ok, the third one isn’t terrible but it doesn’t have any of the original characters so I feel like it’s kind of it’s own thing. I love a good John Hughes movie – bias since born and raised in Chicago, but hey can you blame me?? This house actually exists in real life too – watch for a lot of Chicago Easter eggs (looking at you, Metra).
- Elf (duh)
- The Grinch (both versions) – Some people have mixed feelings about the Jim Carrey version but I think its hilarious, plus I love the song “Where Are You Christmas?” (listen to it via my holly jolly tunes list here).
- All the Claymation stories (Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, Rudolph, etc) – If you haven’t watched any of these, do it right now! These have been going since my parents’ childhood and they are too cute to pass up.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – My family and I try to watch as many of the Charlie Brown holiday specials as we can (Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving) and they never disappoint. I’m sure you’ll get a smile out of Mom or Dad on this one.
- The Polar Express – If you love Tom Hanks, watch this. He plays like five different characters!
- The Santa Clause (1&2) – Again, the third is not my favorite so it was more of a one and done deal for me. The other two are pretty good though – Disney movies are always a win!
- A Christmas Story – Such a funny one, a little more PG than some of the others but sure to cue a laugh or two.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – I’ve seen the other two versions many times, but just watched this one for the first time recently and had to add it on.
Bonus: Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer The Movie, Babes in Toyland – I had to add these because #nostalgia and both are highly underrated. If you want to try a movie that’s stupidly funny and different from your usual pick, try these.
See you in the next post!